SEATTLE NEWS INSIDER

SEATTLE NEWS INSIDER
GIVING PEOPLE THE INSIDE SCOOP

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Watch Out For Angry Crows "Dive-Bombing" People In Seattle


SEATTLE - They may look innocent enough but don't be fooled. Neighbors in Ballard say they're on high alert after a series of dive-bombing crow attacks over the last few days.

Ever since crows started nesting in Randy Borkowski's pine tree his front yard has become much like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's thriller "The Birds."

"My son and I came out to get something from the van and they just were literally dive-bombing us," said Borkowski.

Randy says you can't turn your back on these crows or you might get pecked right between your eyes.

"Soon as I quit looking at them they would come down at least 2 or 3 times dive-bombed right over my hair, I could feel them moving my hair," said Borkowski.

Randy's problem is a familiar one in North Ballard where there are many reports of crows attacking people. Senait Brown has been dodging the crows too.

"I kind of have a little phobia now. It does seem weird that they are that aggressive," said Brown.

One of the most vicious attacks happened at the corner of Northwest 62nd Street and 32nd Avenue Northwest, where a crow dive-bombed the victim and actually scratched them twice in the head.

State Wildlife Officials say the crows are aggressive this time of year because they're protecting their babies and nests. Senait Brown walks right by some of those nests.

"I thought it was a little strange that there were so many crows. So, I made a conscious decision to stay away from them," said Brown.

University of Washington researchers determined crows can hold grudges and know exactly who they're dive-bombing. Randy can attest to that.

"They seem to particularly want to go after me. I would watch and try to walk in a different direction. I walked across the street first before I walked up to the bus and I was two houses away when one came after me," said Borkowski.

Wildlife Officials say once baby crows leave their nests the adults should play nice. Randy hopes they'd hurry up and leave his family alone.

"We've lived in here for some 20 years, I don't remember having that particular problem it's right in front of our house it's hard to avoid it all together," said Borkowski.

State Wildlife Officials say you can protect yourself from crows by waving your arms slowly overhead. Also, you can wear a hat or helmet and carry an umbrella to scare them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Seattle, WA, United States
Television And Social Media Journalist
Powered By Blogger